Mammals by definition give birth to live babies and provide milk for them. But how long do they breastfeed? Let’s test your knowledge!
1. What mammal nurses the longest?
2. What mammal nurses the shortest period of time?
3. In general, worldwide, most human babies wean themselves at ages
a. 2-4 months
b. 9-12 months
c. 2.5 – 4 years
d. 6- 7 years
- Gorillas 18 months, Chimpanzees 5 years, Dolphins 6months to 3 years, Bison 1 year
- Seal 3 weeks, Puppies and Kittens 6 weeks, Rabbits 4 weeks
- C. Human babies could be weaned as early as a year but worldwide babies wean themselves around 2½-4 years. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends at least 1 year and WHO recommends 2 years.
Stay tuned for more interesting breastfeeding trivia next month. If you have questions about human breastfeeding issues, please contact us at 847-398-0434 or visit our website www.thebreastfeedingcenterofchicago.com