Five Fascinating Facts About Breastfeeding:
- Breastfeeding decreases the risk of obesity, ovarian cancer, diabetes, and postpartum depression in mothers.
- The amount of milk a mother produces has no correlation to her breast size.
- Breastfeeding releases oxytocin, often referred to as the “cuddle hormone” eliciting feelings of relaxation in both mom and baby.
- Families can save 2-4 thousand dollars per year by breastfeeding instead of purchasing formula.
- Producing breastmilk burns about 1,000 calories per day.
If you have more questions about breastfeeding contact our board certified lactation consultants at (847) 398- 0434. One-on- one consultations, free prenatal breastfeeding classes, and home visits are all available to you through The Breastfeeding Center of Chicago. For more information about classes we offer, check out our “classes” page.